The Paul Popham Fund, Renal Support Wales held it very first Fall Ball on Friday 14th October at the Village Hotel, the Ball was organised by the charities Fundraising Committee (Louise Platt, Becky Huntley, Nicola John, Kaye Harris-John, Jo Rees, Michael Roderick) to celebrate the end of a year filled with challenges that teams of people had taken part in for the charity throughout the year and to announce the challenges set for 2017!
Opened by the Lord and Lady Mayor who have chosen the Paul Popham Fund as one of his charities for 2016/2017 and hosted by one of the charities patron’s and local legend – Kevin Johns who enthused the attendees to part with their money and take part in challenges in 2017 ending with the musical talents of the local famous band – Joe Schmo!
It was an amazing night and a fitting end to celebrate such an amazing year for the charity with teams of wonderful people taking part in one or for some ALL of the following challenges:
- A Xmas Jumper Ride – organised by Action Bikes a team of 60 cycled from Llandarcy to Mumbles Pier and back in their Christmas finery;
- To 3 athletes taking part in the London Marathon – raising over £5000 for the charity;
- To our annual Wear Wally & Run 4 Life –The theme of Wear Wally run comes from the iconic carton character ‘Where’s Wally’ – Paul Popham’s nick name was Wally, Paul played and managed a local football team called St Joseph’s whose colours were Green and White. So, at Wear Wally – we ask people to wear green and white in the theme of ‘Where’s Wally’! We supply the hats and glasses on the day! This year the event raised over £2000;
- To a team taking part in the Swansea Half Marathon – since it’s inception in 2013 we have entered a team to run Swansea Half Marathon a beautiful run in our picturesque city, starting in the city centre and taking in Swansea Bay as you head down to Mumbles heading back to Swansea Marina before finishing back in the City. The team raised over £1000 for the charity;
- To a team taking part in the Paris to Amsterdam Bike Ride – This was the first year the charity had entered a team to cycle in this event organised by Sarn Helen Events. Riders were recruited from Action Bikes and took on the challenge to cycle a scenic 5-day bike ride from Paris, taking in France, Belgium and Amsterdam. This was such an amazing event from the organisation, route and team spirit. A Team of 10 cycled for the charity and while the money is still coming in, will have raised over £3000 for the charity;
- To a team taking part in the National 3 Peaks – This was the first time the charity had organised a climbing challenge which saw a team of 14 and their driver – Graham take on the challenge of climbing the three highest mountains in Scotland, England and Wales in 24 hours. An amazing and tough challenge with over £2000 raised for the charity;
- To a team from the Paul Popham Running Club taking part in the Swansea 10k – this was the first challenge the club competed in together while raising money for the charity. It was a great day and atmosphere with over £700 raised for the charity;
- To the final event for 2016 – the Cardiff Half Marathon – This is one of the old favourites we have entered a team to Cardiff Half Marathon since 2013 and before the charity started we have been taking part in the Cardiff Half. This year a team of 14 athletes enjoyed the 13.1 mile run and achieved some great times. Over £750 was raised for the charity. A total of just over £14,000 raised for the charity from just fundraising alone which has allowed the charity to re-launch the Befriending Service in South Wakes which trains kidney patients to give advice and support to new kidney patients.
Have a look at our Powerpoint presentation celebrating the above events and the fantastic people that participated.Fall Ball 2016 Powerpoint
Teams from each of the above challenges came together at the Fall Ball to celebrate their fundraising efforts and raise over £4000 in one night to get 2017 off with a bang!
Have a browse of our Fall Ball 2016 picture gallery and see if you can spot yourself!
It was such a fun filled evening with the teams hearing from the charities Clinical Psychologist – Lynne Kirkham – about the Befriending Service and hearing from Shaun Thomas, Renal Youth Worker
Cardiff and Vale UHB & ABM UHB who told the teams how their efforts had allowed children to take part in an activity weekend to gain peer support and take part in out door activities they did not think they ever could have!
The charity announced their challenges for 2017 and over 50 pledged to take part in the events on the night:
- Wear Wally and Run 4 Life April 2017
- Mount Toubkal Morocco Climb May 2017
- 3 Peaks 2nd June 2017
- Swansea Half Marathon 25th June 2017
- Paris to Swansea Cycle 2nd August 2017 to 6th August 2017
- Great North Run 8th September to 10th September 2017
- Cardiff Half Marathon 1st October 2017
- and finally Base Camp Everest in 2018!
Thank you to all those who came to the Fall Ball, who took part in one or all of the challenges this year, to the companies who sponsored the events and provided auction and raffle prizes and thank you to all those already signed up for the challenges set for 2017!
If you would like further information on the charity or on any of the challenges set for 2017 then please contact us.